Depression is sometimes used as a blanket term for how we feel after a bad week or after a breakup. A severe depressive disorder on the other hand, is more complicated. There are specific symptoms that let doctors determine whether it’s depression or simply sadness. Here are some signs of depression to help you decide if it’s time to see a mental health expert.
8 Signs of Depression
- Hopelessness. The most typical symptom of depression is a bleak perspective on life or feelings of helplessness. Feelings of worthlessness, self-hatred, and guilt are other possible symptoms.
- Uncontrollable emotions. Extreme mood swings are another symptom of depression. One minute, you may feel anger and the next uncontrollable sadness for no apparent reason.
- Loss of interest. Loss of pleasure or withdrawal from activities that you once looked forward to, such as hobbies, sex, or seeing friends is another sign of depression.
- Irritability. You may exhibit signs of uncontrollable rage, self-destructive tendencies, or misplaced fury. If not properly addressed, these emotions might lead to substance abuse.
- Fatigue and sleep problems. Depression symptoms also include a lack of energy and feelings of tiredness. It’s also closely related to insomnia.
- Anxiety. While depression does not cause anxiety on its own, the two appear to occur simultaneously. Restlessness, panic, dread, and rapid breathing and heart rate are all symptoms of anxiety.
- Changes in appetite and weight. Appetite and weight might vary considerably. Some people will have an increase in appetite and weight, while others will lose weight owing to a lack of hunger.
- Thoughts of death. Depression is also often connected with thoughts of suicide. If you or someone you know is considering suicide, you can get help from a crisis or suicide prevention hotline. Try the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255.
Getting Help and Treatment
If you believe you’re showing some signs mentioned above for more than two weeks, you might be suffering from depression. Understanding the issues is the first step to getting the right treatment. Global Medical Institutes is here to listen and help you regain control of your life and start getting better. Contact one of our medical professionals today.